DiMS! organising print, a world leader in MIS systems for the printing and packaging industries, is now introducing its latest DiMS.NET! MIS/ERP solution in Europe. The new generation of the popular DiMS! system automates the complete range of web-enabled administrative and printing processes across an entire enterprise, helping businesses to streamline their operations, increase productivity and cut costs. Based on Microsoft’s latest .NET technology and featuring the familiar look and feel of Microsoft software, DiMS.NET! is easy to learn and use, as it automatically adapts to the preferred work method of the individual user.
Gerard Marneth, co-founder and CEO of DiMS! organizing print, comments: "By building upon the comprehensive end-to-end functionality of the existing DiMS! solution, we've created a brand new ‘plug & play’ category in MIS/ERP. DiMS.NET! is an all-in-one application with true end-to-end integration—from estimating to planning and scheduling, prepress to production, shipping to invoicing, and financials. It reduces errors, accelerates processes, improves flow, increases efficiency and delivers significant cost savings. But most importantly, DiMS.NET! is easy to implement and very intuitive to use”.
Michael Murphy, President Japs-Olson Company, was involved in a long and extensive search for a Web-enabled MIS system and selected DiMS! because “it was the best product that would enable us to operate at a world-class level and provide solutions for challenges in the marketplace. It enables us to streamline our operations and significantly reduce setup and rollout times. All relevant information—such as customer, job and material data—only needs to be entered once, which greatly reduces mistakes. Plus, we can configure DiMS.NET! to automatically push information to the appropriate employee, which saves a lot of time”, concludes Michael Murphy.
DiMS.NET! is also particularly well suited to medium-to-large printers with multiple facilities. It delivers a raft of business-enhancing benefits, such as improved performance and faster server applications.
It enables clear communication of data in multiple currencies and multiple languages across every location. The product-focused business templates decrease setup times, permit greater efficiency and reduce rollout time. Customers who have moved to the .NET technology typically experience an increase in speed and efficiency between 300% and 500%.
With DiMS.NET! delivery times are dramatically decreased. A single point of entry for all information decreases the risk for mistakes. Every step in the workflow presents numerous options to match the preferred work approach of each individual user. Printers can now configure DiMS.NET! so that information is automatically pushed to the appropriate employee in the company. This means, for example, that a production planner will not have to check whether a required roll of paper has arrived: the system will deliver the relevant information as soon as that roll arrives and it will also warn them if it doesn’t arrive on time.
Improved security and integration
DiMS.NET! integrates smoothly within existing IT environments. The .NET framework makes it easy to deploy, run and manage applications. In addition it offers mobility support, providing one unified programming model for smart client and web applications for both PCs and mobile devices.
“DiMS.NET! provides the essential technologies and interfaces allowing users to securely run the application in a broader business environment”, remarks Gerard Marneth. “The code access security methods in the .NET framework check against administrator-set or default security policies before deciding to run an application or enabling it to access a particular resource. The .NET framework also supports XML web services, which can be used to integrate applications across different platforms, or to offer software-as-a-service. Plus there is support for more than 20 programming languages.”
DiMS.NET! comes packed with valuable features for end users, including:
- DiMS! eLearning system - users can access the training course via the internet at any time. Intuitive online lessons simulate the look, feel and behavior of the actual live system. Lessons are presented in a preview format, whereby the user learns by watching a simulation. The training session is followed by a testing module where users are presented with generic instructions to verify their capability to correctly execute the task.
- One integrated database – users get an enterprise-wide view using visually appealing and easy-to-understand personal dashboards. In addition they can filter and analyze real-time data according to their needs, and act quickly if production problems occur. Drill-downs and dashboards to the transaction level are standard. Internal and external documents are available in the integrated archive, providing real-time access to current communications. A personal cockpit enables company management to view real-time key data at a glance. This places the business data essential for decision making at the manager's fingertips, in a clear and intuitively understandable form. Direct access to data can even be tuned precisely to individual requirements.
- An enhanced scheduling board is an integral part of the new DiMS.NET!. Scheduling captures all characteristics of each job and proposes the most efficient way to run it. Scheduling can be viewed across departments, plants, and even international borders. Flag support and dashboards give a visual status of the jobs. This optimizes production times and gives users the best scenarios to manage the plant.
- Web-based application – customers can upload orders via DiMS.NET! directly to the web-based server, and order details can be delivered to all relevant areas of the company.
- Scalability - DiMS.NET! provides an easy upgrade path. Companies can decide to start with only estimating, scheduling or job tickets, and can easily upgrade to a more complete solution at any time. If a DiMS! customer expands services or moves into a new market, they can rely upon DiMS.NET! being flexible enough to evolve with them. The extensive 25 year history and experience of the DiMS! solution have been incorporated into DiMS.Net!, which means that DiMS! can handle any specific print product and also any fulfillment, mailing and shipping activity. There is no risk of outgrowing the system, or having to buy add-ons in order to expand.
- Full JDF integration – DiMS.NET!’s integration with prepress systems through JDF allows to automatically plan the print job and see how it’s progressing through prepress. To date, DiMS! has achieved the highest possible MIS-ICS level of conformance in terms of JDF submission and JMF handling, and is the first and only to be certified in commercial web printing–after acquiring JDF certifications for prepress, conventional printing (sheet-fed), imposition ICS and base ICS.
Gerard Marneth concludes: “DiMS.NET! builds on our company’s recognized experience in print business management systems. Some of the most respected printers in the world rely on DiMS! to manage their businesses. DiMS.NET! demonstrates the strength of our software and its ability to quickly adapt to the latest technologies available. We anticipate that DiMS.NET! will further strengthen our position in the industry.”