- For drupa 2012 BioMedia is demonstrated by market leaders including EFI, Epson, Ricoh and Roland
- ILFORD adds biodegradable Glossy and Matt laminates to BioMedia substrate range
- ILFORD joins Green Printing Park at dip (drupa innovation park), dedicated to innovative products
- Additions to the ILFORD OMNIJET range announced
ILFORD, a leading developer and manufacturer of professional quality media, takes advantage of drupa 2012 to demonstrate the universal compatibility of its BioMedia sustainable substrate range with printing on the stands of EFI, Epson, Ricoh and Roland. ILFORD also contributes to the choice of sustainable materials available to the commercial marketplace with new introductions to its BioMedia and OMNIJET ranges.
At drupa 2012 ILFORD introduces new BioMedia laminates in gloss and matt finishes, which are fully biodegradable. The 75 micron laminates offer an environmentally responsible solution to improving the longevity and scratch resistance of graphic display products and are suitable for a wide range of indoor and outdoor applications including banner stands and in-store retail display boards.
drupa 2012 also provides ILFORD with the perfect opportunity to demonstrate the universal compatibility of the BioMedia range, with live printing taking place using a wide range of the latest printing equipment at the stands of industry leaders including EFI, Epson, Ricoh and Roland.
EFI (Hall 05/C01) will print on the BioMedia Display Film UV sheets, whilst Epson (Hall 05/A01) will print on the universally compatible BioMedia Display Film using the Epson Stylus Pro 11880 and the Epson SureColor SC-30600. Ricoh (Hall 08A/B46) will demonstrate the latest printing technology with a selection of ILFORD BioMedia and OMNIJET products, including the responsibly sourced ILFORD Photo Realistic range. Roland (Hall 09/E04 & E07) will demonstrate the compatibility of their printing equipment with BioMedia Display Film UV and the universally compatible Display Film. Finally, visitors interested in ILFORD OMNIJET products will be able to see display material from the range on show at Canon Hall 08A/C06.
Paul Willems, CEO at ILFORD Imaging says “ILFORD BioMedia has been developed as an environmentally-responsible alternative to PVC-based display materials traditionally favoured in commercial printing. We are delighted to use drupa 2012 as an opportunity to demonstrate the success of the product range in terms of the demand and ease of adoption we’re experiencing from the industry. Through our widespread presence at the event, ILFORD is saying to the graphic communications industry that when it comes to product viability and application potential, environmentally responsible substrates promise to match their traditional forbearers like for like.”
The focal point of ILFORD activity at drupa 2012 will be at Hall 07/E15 in the Green Printing section of drupa innovation park, an area which is dedicated to innovation within sustainable printing. ILFORD takes this opportunity to present its sustainable substrate solutions offered for environmentally responsible commercial printing. This includes the recyclable paper-based Photo Realistic range, which has been certified as responsibly sourced in compliance with the requirements of the Forest Stewardship Council® (FSC® C107238).
New to the OMNIJET range at drupa 2012 is the recyclable Screen Print Separation Film, which, thanks to ILFORD coating technology developed in Switzerland, offers an exceptionally high Dmax of up to 4.5 (UV) and 3.1 (Visual). ILFORD is also pleased to introduce 3-inch core rolls across the OMNIJET range on products OMNIJET Glossy Portable Display Film 400gsm, Self-Adhesive Vinyl 180gsm and Glossy 255gsm, Satin 200gsm/255gsm and Pearl Photo 250gsm RC Paper. The thicker roll cores bring the additional benefits of increased productivity and reduced memory curl.
The ILFORD BioMedia range includes display films which employ ILFORD renowned coating technologies to create a universally compatible layer, as well paper-based products, boards and laminates. ILFORD BioMedia products are recyclable in the stream for Resin Code 6, applying to products such as cups, utensils and compact disc cases, and is of course compliant with the EU REACH Regulation. BioMedia breaks down under anaerobic (no oxygen) landfill conditions thanks to a unique additive that accelerates the biodegradation process. The products have been tested and found to biodegrade by an independent laboratory according to ASTM (American Society for Testing and Materials) standard D5511, which determines the anaerobic biodegradation of plastic materials. ILFORD BioMedia products also require less energy during printing, as the media is optimised for low-temperature printing processes.
The ILFORD BioMedia range was launched in the USA at SGIA in October 2011 and in Europe at FESPA Digital 2012. Awards and nominations attributed to the BioMedia range include the 2011 SGIA* Product of the Year Award in the Media - Vinyl category and a nomination for the prestigious 2012 Wide Format-Imaging Magazine Readers' Choice Top Products Awards, which recognises products that have caused the most excitement in the wide format printing industry.
The ILFORD BioMedia range includes:
- BioMedia Display Film: A flexible printing substrate available in standard roll sizes and in 300, 400 and 550 micron. Using a microporous imaging front layer, BioMedia Display Film is compatible with aqueous, eco-solvent, solvent and latex technology. It is suitable for indoor applications as a direct replacement for coated vinyl or polyester media and can be used in a variety of applications from pop-ups and point of sale displays to posters and exhibition panels.
- BioMedia Display Film UV: Compatible with UV printers, the range is suitable for outdoor display applications including poster displays or banners. The product range is available in a range of weights and roll sizes to meet the different application requirements.
- BioMedia Rigid Display Board: These direct-to-print boards are suitable for all UV print platforms and, at 750 microns, 1.5mm and 2.7mm thicknesses, offer durable replacements for traditional mounting boards. They are perfect for heavy-duty signage, internal cladding or displays.
- BioMedia Laminates: For a biodegradable glossy, matt or satin finish, the BioMedia line in 75micron thickness. These have similar properties to traditional polyester laminates yet are fully biodegradable and can be used with a variety of substrates for indoor or limited short term outdoor applications
The ILFORD BioMedia range is available internationally and can be ordered immediately. Commercial printers can contact their distributors for pricing. For more detail on the ILFORD BioMedia range please visit: www.ilford.com
With the OMNIJET range ILFORD has created the leading solution for the commercial marketplace looking for quick and efficient production, minimum waste and maximum impact. The range is suitable for a diverse range of applications and consists of Photo RC Paper, Photo Realistic responsibly sourced products; Portable Display Films; Backlit Display Films; Self-Adhesive Vinyl; Canvas; Graphic Matt Paper products and the new Screen Print Separation Film.